Choosing a New Smartphone...

I got a new smartphone. It's my first replacement since a long time. I'm excited to talk about it. Actually, more about the process of getting to it. For some people, the choice may be quick and easy. For the rest of us, it can take a lot of researching and shortlisting and choosing. At the end of it all is a well thought out decision. Or at least justified.

The Need

Around 4 or 5 years ago, I was sure I was getting a Windows phone. I use Microsoft products a lot at home and at work, I was sure I would like to have Windows on the go as well. My wife knew this so she surprised me with a Windows phone gift on my birthday. It was a treasure: a Nokia Lumia ICON that came with a Nokia DT-900 wireless charger. I loved it!

Fast forward to this year and my beloved Nokia Lumia ICON started to show signs of dying. I could still use the phone and messaging features without any problem, still lasting a long time. However, launching apps and using them drained the battery so fast I'd be lucky to spend more than 10 or 15 minutes before it would shut down for charging. I couldn't use the camera for more than 3 shots, which was already a stretch. As time went by, it was beginning to function more like a basic mobile phone than a smartphone.

The fact that Microsoft had also cut off support for their Windows phone OS also did not help. Many apps dropped out and stopped their support as well. In fact, even Windows phone's integration with Windows on the PC itself was also dying. Microsoft had sent its message clear: Windows phone is going away. Sentimental value or not, I have to let it go.

The Options

The ultimate season for buying a new smartphone is in the fourth quarter of the year. This is when most manufacturers would announce the release of their new models, in time for the holidays. And it's also the best time to narrow down your options. After all the leaks and rumors that piled up during the prior months, announcements after announcements, the truth truly sets you free.

After much researching, I had Razer Phone 2, Pixel 3 and iPhone XS to choose from.

Their respective manufacturers announced and released them in October 2018. All of them had much to offer. They all promised future proof technologies. They were all flagships in their own right.

Note that all of them has no fingerprint on display (FOD); all of them has no 5G readiness; and all of them has no Wi-Fi 6 readiness.

Suffice to say, the competition was pretty much on equal ground.

The Dilemma

In my quest for a new smartphone, granted that I tend to hold on to them for a long time, I need something that is future proof enough to last up to 3 to 5 years without making me want to replace them as soon as something new and "sweeter" comes out. True, new products with the drool factor comes out every year, but if I have something that's valuable enough, I can easily convince myself to keep it for another year... and another... and so on.

It was nearly impossible to know more about the iPhone XS before Apple's announcement event. Google on the other hand seemingly fed the leaks and rumors about their Pixel 3, which was literally all over the place -- up to a point that Google almost had nothing left to announce in their unveiling. Razer, meanwhile, held an intimate event with their gamer customers and fans -- a class act that built a Razer Phone 2 excitement in me that was comparable to when the Windows phone first came out.

After all was said and done, it was time to decide...

Razer Phone 2

The gamer smartphone to beat is Razer Phone 2. It's the Razer Phone sequel that truly delivers: Snapdragon 845, 8GB RAM, Gigabit LTE, true full 120Hz touch display, better cameras, IP67, wireless charging, and, yes, Verizon support. When it comes to listening to their customers, Razer got it right. Razer Phone 2 has the same industrial design as the previous version. It also adds gamer loved RGB features. It's big, it's bright, it's loud... it's the ultimate Android device for gamers, with a great value starting at $799.

Pixel 3

The Pixel brand promise is that it will get the latest Android version as soon as it is ready. This is a great plus, compared to other Android phone manufacturers who usually promise only up 2 or 3 major Android updates. Pixel 3's specs are nearly the same as many other Snapdragon 845 flagships. Everything else that makes it great are in its new NPU and AI applications, which are specially utilized, for example, by the famously marketed "best camera in a smartphone", and a unique feature that can do AI-powered handling/response to calls, which can help you avoid spams. The Pixel 3 is expected to continue to improve through software updates from Google. With that software-based future proofing promise, Google gives Pixel 3 a starting price of $799.

iPhone XS

Apple products are expensive. There is no denying it. Apple started the $999 smartphone trend last year with the iPhone X, and they continued with it this year. For Apple's new iPhones in 2018, the new 7nm A12 Bionic chip promises great performance and energy efficiency, helping to power the new camera and Face ID modules, plus a lot of AI enabled features in the new iOS 12. Both iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have Gigabit LTE, IP68 and wireless charging. Still a sticker shock in 2018, the iPhone XS starts at $999.

The Decision

I realized, actually more like remembered, that my new smartphone must be of just the right size to fit in my pants' front pocket, which is how I carry my smartphone around with me. I also had to be real with my small hands. So, yes, it's not the Razer Phone 2. Besides, I don't really identify myself as a gamer so... Still, for those who do, note that this beast offers the best value.

A major contributor to my decision, and how soon I made it, was Verizon's promotional offer that would let me get a second smartphone for free. I'd been thinking of replacing our landline with a new mobile line instead so the timing seemed perfect. Suddenly, value for money was heavily weighing in.

Finally, I chose the brand with technologies that are technically a full year ahead of all other 2018 flagship devices. This gives me a peace of mind that I'll be OK with my year old device even with whatever could possible come out in 2019, which I predict to be a transitional year that will release version one's of new form factors, 5G and Wi-Fi 6, for example.

Was it an informed and smart decision? Am I justifying it after the fact? I honestly don't know anymore. What I'm sure about, after spending a week with my new iPhone XS, is that I'm happy, and I think I will be for a long time. Now, that's good enough for me.

Comments