Heartbreaking Windows 10 Phones

I am a Windows 10 phone user. I own a Nokia Lumia ICON. I love it. With Microsoft seemingly killing off Windows 10 for phones anytime soon, I feel the pain. I probably share the same sentiments as other Windows 10 phone users. Regardless how loyal to the platform we wish to be, it seems inevitable that we shall forever be the last few. Microsoft does not care.

I got my Nokia Lumia ICON as a birthday gift from my wife. I love it since and I love it still. I still think that it provides the most personal phone experience. How personal you may ask? Well, so much so that only I can understand my Start screen. Anyone who borrows my phone just returns it to me with disgust. They don't know what to do with it, likewise wondering how I can quickly find my stuffs in it.

I have Windows 10 Mobile on my Nokia Lumia ICON c/o Windows Insiders program. Whatever I have may as well be the last version. Microsoft's official announcement is that Nokia Lumia ICON, along with many other models, will not get the next version anymore. Even those models that will get the next version coming later this year, they'll actually get an update maintained in a separate branch from the main Windows code branch. This means that as Windows 10 in general grows up along with the main Windows version tree, Windows 10 Mobile will stay in a branch where it is today. If you know how trees grow, yes, it's that old branch that grew low, and stayed low, that anyone can reach and easily break off the trunk.

To the few of us holding on to our Windows 10 phones, Microsoft does not have second thoughts pushing us out, to switch to iOS or Android. The reason? Microsoft says that their products and services are also available in those other platforms... plus more.

It's that "plus more" where I, as a Windows 10 phone customer, feels the abandonment. Microsoft does not need to officially announce it. Action speaks louder than words. Windows 10 phone customers are not first class citizens even within Microsoft itself. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft even thinks their Windows 10 phone customers are just enthusiasts or fanatics, holding on to a dying platform. The passion is dead. Microsoft is giving up. Let the customers go.

Microsoft knows that Windows 10 phones are beautiful. Unfortunately, they're not selling. For Microsoft, it's all just business. It's not about keeping customers anymore. For the most part, it seems more about making sure that Windows survive the new technologies of the future. Some things old are just too old to keep. Windows is like a child that Microsoft needs to educate and groom forever. There's always something new. Windows always has to catch up. There's no room to be sentimental. Windows has to live.

Personally, I just want to keep on going with my beautiful Nokia Lumia ICON until it's real death -- when the battery doesn't charge anymore, the display doesn't work anymore, the buttons don't work anymore, when applications and services don't work anymore, etc. It's a personal choice. I'm not being sentimental. I'm not being fanatic. The Windows 10 Mobile OS powering it is really good -- it just happened to be abandoned by its maker.

Comments