I Don't Have Cable TV, I Have OTA TV

When I tell a cable TV salesperson I don't have cable TV ever since, the next question I get is, "How are you watching TV then?" The young salesperson's face is remarkably genuinely innocent. It almost feels like I need to explain myself. It's as if, to this person, OTA TV was never invented yet.

That scene is common in the US. There are populations in the US who know "cable TV" is "TV", and nothing else. You can't blame them. OTA TV is literally not nationwide in the US. It's available where it's available. Thus, the term "cable cutter" and why it sounds like a big deal. To be a "cable cutter" is actually a thing in the US, mostly because a lot of people actually grew up with cable TV only -- and that they didn't even know OTA TV exists.

Over-the-air (OTA) TV is as old as television broadcasts have been around. Regardless, they remained modern with support for digital, stereo and full HD quality content. Oh, and yes, they are still around.

I use an indoor antenna. From where I live, I can get around 50 channels. Imagine how much more I can get if I had an outdoor antenna. I don't really need most of them, but I can pick up the channels that matter: live news, live events, live shows, shows for the kids, etc. The essentials. They are available in SD, HD and FHD. And they're free!

Even without Netflix or Amazon Prime Videos, my OTA TV can offer the content my family needs. If desired, OTA TV DVRs are also available to let you record shows and watch them at your own time, just like how cable TV DVRs do. Of course, you can't get cable TV channels. But, with money saved from the cost of cable TV subscriptions, I can spend more on a faster Internet connection and still have extra to ala carte on the content I want.

I have OTA TV and I am proud to say that I am not a cable cutter. You might have OTA TV at your address too without you knowing it. All you need to do is try. Check out http://antennaweb.org/ and start saving.

Comments