I Have A Blu-ray Player Collecting Dusts

Is compact disc media dead? I have a Blu-ray player collecting dusts. I haven't used it for a long time. Netflix and Amazon Prime Videos are serving their purposes well for me. There is almost no need to buy or rent movies in CDs anymore. Should I sell my Blu-ray player? Will anyone buy it?

I have a Samsung smart Blu-ray FHD player with 3D support. It's a 2012 model packaged with 5.1 surround speakers. It's a very capable home theater system. Paired with a Samsung FHD smart TV also with 3D support, it's a glorious setup. We use the smart TV a lot, but not the Blu-ray player. That also means the 5.1 speakers are under-utilized as well. They are just occupying space.

Now don't get me wrong. The few times my family and I used the player, it was fun. I had a Netflix subscription back when that included the DVD and Blu-ray rental service. I've cancelled that part of my Netflix subscription already. Ever since, the Blu-ray player is almost never used.

Although CDs are still used to deliver PC and console games, Windows 10's USB stick delivery exemplified how CDs can be replaced. It should be no surprise sooner than later when even games would quit the CD format and switch to some other form of delivery as well. Today, cloud-delivered apps, games, software, music and movies are already common. Even the USB stick idea may not catch on.

Is it too soon to declare CDs dead, thus the CD player to die with it? We're probably not there yet, but all signs seem to point towards it. The CD storage format will be gone soon. Are we ready for it?

Comments