Why I Chose Garmin nüvi® 1350?

Simply put, GPS navigation devices can guide you to where you want to go. Anything else more than that are just pluses. Whether the device is small, big, thick or thin, what you really want out of it is that it won't get you lost.

The primary brands to choose from are Garmin, Magellan and TomTom.

I had too many bad experiences with a TomTom borrowed from a friend. They're bad enough to immediately take TomTom off my list. Perhaps the map was not updated? I don't know. Anyway, I'd rather use a printed Google Maps direction than use a TomTom.

I also tried another friend's Magellan, but I sometimes think it's delayed in giving the directions. I also experienced it not getting any signal at all until after I've reached my destination. Is it a problem with the model I was using? Is it a general problem with Magellan products in general? I don't know. But those experiences are enough to turn me off.

That leaves me with Garmin. I've tried a number of different Garmins and they've never let me down. So when it's time to get my own GPS device (yes, I was still borrowing), picking Garmin is actually an easy choice -- specifically, a Garmin nüvi®.

There are many Garmin nuvis to choose from. There are those with small screens, those with widescreens and those with extra-widescreens. There are entry level models and there are high-end models. There are thick body models and there are ultra-thin body models as well. There are even models specially designed for truckers! There are so many to choose from that I had to stop and think about what I really need from my GPS.

Given the basic GPS features such as location searches and audible turn-by-turn directions, what do I want more out of my device? Since I have no plans at all to target any of the high-end models, it would help my shortlisting exercise if I would identify first what I don't need: ultra-thin, multi-touchscreen, extra-widescreen, voice command, Bluetooth and live traffic updates.

Next, is to see from the remaining models what extra features I might actually need: text-to-speech.

Last and definitely not the least, is the price. I don't feel like spending more than $100 for a GPS device. Unfortunately, all of the remaining models are priced more than $100 up to $300. Thus, the hunt for a good deal began. A quick search returned many choices selling Gamin nuvi 205 and 1300 series at less than $100. So if I really wanted to save, I might as well choose the one with free shipping.

Sure enough, I hit a 1350 that's cheaper than the cheapest 255W. These two models are pretty much the same except for additional software features in 1350 such as lane-assist and ecoRoute, both of which I personally noted earlier as nice-to-haves. If you think about it, they're extras worth paying cheaper-than-a-255W for. Good deal!

So it was time to know what other people had to say about the 1350 by checking out reviews online. They were generally positive. I saw a lot of 5 stars. Everything seemed to vote for it as a winning choice. Needless to say, I was sold! It's got to be a Garmin nüvi® 1350 indeed!

The fact that the 1350 is in the middle of the low-end and the high-end range; the fact that it's priced just right; and the fact that reviews for it are generally positive, Garmin nüvi® 1350 is the perfect GPS device for me. I enjoyed the process of selection. More so, I am happy and pleased with my first GPS navigation device.

Comments