The Fight Against 240Hz LED HD Internet TVs

When I recently visited Best Buy, I was so amazed by one of the displays: a 55" ultra-slim Samsung 240Hz 3D LED HD Internet TV. It features a touchscreen remote control and a unique wall mount design. Simply put, the beast is beautiful!

Nonetheless, it's a beast. Besides the $4000+ tag price, the "3D" and "Internet TV" parts are just, too, much for me. I'm sure the "3D" feature contributes to the price and I don't know how much the Internet TV integration contributed, but I can live without both of them built-in. In fact, I think I can even live without the TV part at all!

So, I researched for a product that would be at least a 32" 240Hz LED HD display with enough ports to hook to peripherals that would allow me to accomplish the same Internet TV experience. For some reason, even if I searched only for 240Hz LCD HD displays, it turns out that when the size reaches 32", it's already a TV.

Unfortunately, I was forced to search for 240Hz LED HDTVs. My search brought out models from LG, Vizio, Toshiba and Sharp. The prices of these brands' models are also competitive (be sure to compare full LED to full LED; and edge LED to edge LED). During my search, there's no practically sized Sony... and there's none from Samsung, both of which seem to've focused on offering 240Hz on 3D Internet TV models.

With a basic display, I can hook it up to a powerful PC with Windows Media Center (or via XBox 360 as extender). Powered with a high bandwidth Internet plan, then everything's set!

The point here is that if you're planning to use Internet TV, it is possible to leverage what you may already have! Also, since your Internet TV settings are actually stored in your PC, your settings stay with you even after you replace your TV.

If you ask me, I would highly consider these points when investing on the next cable-free home entertainment system. It all boils down to paying only for what you know you'll actually use. I hope Samsung and Sony would soon start offering 240Hz LED HDTV models stripped off of built-in Internet TV software. As for keeping 3D, get the 3D glasses off as well, please.

Comments